Southern California General & Cosmetic Dentistry
Ryan J. Fait, DDS
General & Cosmetic Dentist located in Long Beach, CA & Avalon, CA
Missing teeth can cause embarrassment and low self-confidence. Ryan Fait, DDS, of Southern California General & Cosmetic Dentistry has 20 years of experience creating more beautiful smiles in Southern California. Located in Long Beach and Avalon, Dr. Fait and his talented dental team of highly trained clinicians provide a warm, welcoming atmosphere for a variety of cosmetic dentistry procedures, including dental implants. When you’re ready for a permanent solution to a healthier, more attractive smile, schedule a consultation online, or call the experts at Southern California General & Cosmetic Dentistry for an appointment.
Dental Implants Q & A
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are a permanent way to replace missing teeth or dentures. A dental implant is a metal “root” (post) that Dr. Fait surgically attaches to your jawbone beneath your gum line. The post provides a strong, secure foundation for an artificial tooth. Dental implants look, feel, and function like your own teeth, and are made from durable materials that last many years.
What are the advantages of dental implants over dentures?
There are many advantages to choosing dental implants to permanently replace missing teeth. These include:
- Improved overall appearance and function of teeth
- Permanent solution: They fuse with your bone and are not removable like dentures
- Improved speech: Unlike dentures that slip and cause slurring, implants feel like natural teeth, making it easier to speak clearly
- Easier chewing with implants compared to dentures that slip
- Improved oral health; easier oral hygiene routines
- Durability to last many years
- Convenience: no messy denture adhesives to worry about
- Protecting existing teeth since they won’t have to be filed down to support a bridge or partial dentures
- Prevents surrounding teeth of shifting into empty spaces
An added benefit of dental implants is that you can’t get a cavity in an artificial tooth! Dr. Fait, of course, still recommends regular checkups and cleanings for implants and the natural teeth around them.
Can anyone get dental implants?
A good candidate for dental implants is an adult with healthy gums and adequate jaw bone structure to properly support the implant. Meticulous oral hygiene and regular dental visits are also vital in the success and life of your dental implants.
Children and adolescents cannot get dental implants because their jaws have not stopped growing. Dental implants in children could impede jaw growth or prevent teeth from growing into their natural positions. In most cases, boys should be at least 17 years old, and girls should be, at a minimum, 14-15 years old.
When you’re ready to permanently improve the appearance and health of your smile, Dr. Fait and his expert dental team are ready to help.